You enjoy driving your car and being able to take your family around. You depend on your car to take your kids to school, reach you to work on time, go to the mall, visit friends, and so on. But if you don’t take care of your vehicle on a regular basis, you may face several costs, in terms of time, effort and money. Well, here are the top car care maintenance tips to keep your car in top running condition.
Top Tips for a Long Vehicle Life
1. Check tyre pressure regularly. At worst, low tyre pressure could compromise your safety, especially when turning corners or braking. Underinflated tyres can also worsen the fuel economy and shorten tyre life due to increased friction between the tyre and the road.
2. Check your engine’s oil level. Your engine’s oil level can drop due to burning or leaking. Too little oil can lead to serious engine damage. You should check your oil level every time you fill the car with fuel, especially if your car has a high mileage.
3. Change the engine oil, coolant and filter regularly. Having clean engine oil is essential for your engine’s well-being, as is having adequate coolant levels. Some of the newer cars have in-built monitors that regularly check the oil and put a message on the instrument panel when it is time for an oil change. For other models follow the timelines suggested in your car’s manual.
4. Replace the brake pads when needed. Your car’s brake pads take all the pressure of stop-and-go driving, driving in mountainous regions and driving with heavy loads. Having well-functioning brake pads is essential to safety. Hence, don’t ignore the squealing or squawking noises that come when you hit the brakes, and get your brake pads replaced as soon as possible.
5. Use the octane fuel recommended for your car. Don’t fall for the “more octane is better” trap, as you will just burn money for nothing. Using lower quality of fuel than is recommended will reduce the life of your engine, so avoid trying to save money where high octane levels are called for.
6. Check and replace lights and wiper blades regularly. Your headlights, back lights and fog lights should always be in working condition, as should your wiper blades.
Follow these and opt for regular servicing of your car, for a long and safe vehicle life.